Round Rock, Texas
Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center
Competition is a great way for members to bolster their knowledge of the medical field and fulfill their passions for particular subjects/skills. Competitions also enable members to network and build connections with HOSA members from chapters all over the area, state, and nation and thus grow closer to the members within our own chapter. Additionally, competition is a great addition to one's college resume and scholarships are even available to the winners of certain competitions/recognition events.
At the State Leadership Conference in Spring 2023:
- 11 members placed first
Events: Dental Science, Dental Terminology, Epidemiology, HOSA Bowl, Medical Assisting, Medical Terminology, Nutrition, and Researched Persuasive Writing & Speaking
- 4 members placed second
Events: Cultural Disparities, Medical Assisting, Medical Reading, Pharmacology
- 2 members placed third
Events: Epidemiology and Pathophysiology
- 2 members placed fourth
Events: Human Growth & Development and Medical Math
- 1 member placed fifth
- 6 members received the top award for the Healthcare Issues Exam
- 3 members recognized for subject exams
Exams: Anatomy & Physiology, Biology, Human Heredity, Microbiology, and Organic Chemistry
- 2 members received the Barbara Jordan Service Award
- 3 members received the Theodora Y Justice Memorial Scholarship ($2,000)
Every HOSA member has the opportunity to participate in one competitive event and one recognition event each academic year. All of our possible competitions are listed above, along with their locations, in chronological order. Texas HOSA competes at the State and International levels.
- For competitive events, the top five competitors are awarded, but only the top three can advance to the next level of competition.
- For recognition events, the recognition received varies. Please see the "competitions and guidelines" link located to the right for detailed information.
If you are interested in competing and are curious about all of the regulations/rules, lists of events, dress codes, resources etc. please visit our helpful links located to the right! You can also contact our competitions director, Lianna Villarreal (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns.